Friday, December 8, 2017

What Can I Spray on My Yard to Keep Dogs From Digging?

Dogs dig for many reasons, including boredom, to find prey or food, to form a cool spot to sit in, or out of a nervous disorder, according to PetPlace.com. If your dog or a neighbor's dog has gotten into your yard and digs incessantly, spray a dog repellent in your yard to discourage this behavior.

Spray Repellents

    Pet supply stores carry liquid dog repellent sprays that are safe to spray in your yard to repel dogs and discourage digging. These sprays contain ingredients, such as plant oils, that smell unpleasant to dogs, keeping them and other animals such as cats or rabbits away from your yard. Always check that you can use these spray repellents safely around plants. Look for biodegradable sprays that dissolve safely in the greenery. Refresh the spray about once every 24 hours to keep the scent as a potent deterrent.

Homemade Solutions

    To stop dogs from digging in your yard, mix 3 teaspoons of hot pepper sauce with 1/2 cup of water. Combine 3 teaspoons of lemon-scented dishwashing liquid with 1 cup of vegetable oil, and add to the pepper mixture and mix with 1 quart of water to make a liquid pepper spray, according to the book "Month-By-Month Gardening in Idaho." Dogs dislike the strong smell of hot peppers, an ingredient found in some commercial dog repellent sprays. "...Lots of individuals believe that it must be crucial to get dog training tips prior to having their pets. Many people might discover this exciting but a lot of people may concur that this is a very good tip to follow. The issue with some pet owners is they will get a dog and then find out that they may be not suitable to be aware of them. Finally, they might give up their pets in order to reestablish their past lives. These dog training tips can let people learn what they have got to take care of and if they have the time to educate their dogs. These hints can be found on Secrets To Dog Training. By taking the time to conduct appropriate dog training, you will enjoy a lifetime of relaxed a relationship with your ".... Hot peppers contain capsicum, which irritates the skin of your dog's nose, causing it to avoid the area. The pepper spray will not harm plants, but you may want to test it on a single plant first.

Essential Oils

    Strong essential oils smell unpleasant to dogs but pleasant to people, and you can use them safely around plants. Mix 40 drops of citrus oils such as lemon or orange with 2 teaspoons of witch hazel and combine it with 1 cup of water to make a homemade dog repellent spray and use it to repel dogs from areas of your yard. Clove or cinnamon oil also work well to repel dogs and you can combine them with the citrus oils. These oils will not harm plants and also act as natural bug repellents for flowers and shrubbery.

Considerations

    Do not rely solely on a deterrent spray to stop your dog from digging in your yard. Determine the cause of the digging first to change the behavior. A dog without shelter left in your yard in the hot sun may dig for a cool place to sit; provide your dog with an appropriate shelter, such as a small house and a kiddie pool to cool down in during the day. Spay or neuter your dog to prevent it from digging to escape and find a mate. Provide a physical barrier, such as a fence, to prevent stray dogs from entering your yard and digging.


  • How can I stop my Siberian Husky from digging? - Yahoo! Answers

    answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets DogsLast updated: Jul 11, 2008 14 posts First post: Jul 10, 2008

    Jul 10, 2008 Best Answer: HUskies dig. PERIOD. This is a breed trait just like the urge to run. Install an "invisible" fence in conjunction with your existing fence. I ...


  • What Can I Put in My Yard to Keep the Dog from Digging? eHow

    www.ehow.com Pets Dogs Dog Training

    If your pooch is turning your yard into into a crude mishmash of holes, stopping her incessant digging may be easier than you think. Dog owners who are fed up with ...


  • My dog keeps digging up my garden. What can I do to stop this ...

    lacrittersitter.com/?p=29

    My dog keeps digging up my garden. What can I do to stop this madness? Your dog is perfect in the house. He/she knows that they are not allowed to scratch up the ...


  • pest control - How do I repel tree squirrels that are digging ...

    gardening.stackexchange.com/questions/4366/how-do-i-repel-tree...

    Gardening & Landscaping Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for gardeners and landscapers. It's 100% free, no registration required.


  • What Products Can I Use to Keep Dogs Off My Lawn? eHow

    www.ehow.com Garden & Lawn Pests, Weeds & Problems

    It's hard to keep your dog from damaging your lawn, but it's an even bigger challenge when someone else's dog is creating the problem. If you can't build a fence, it ...


  • How do I stop my dogs digging digging up my lawn? - Yahoo!

    uk.answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets DogsLast updated: Aug 03, 2006 32 posts First post: Aug 02, 2006

    Aug 02, 2006 Best Answer: I had this problem with both of my dogs.... and, sadly, there really is not a ton you can do about it. I read a book that said dogs dig out of ...


  • How can I stop my dog from digging up my yard?

    www.dogspelledforward.com/how-can-i-stop-my-dog-from-digging-up-my...

    Digging is a common nuisance behavior with dogs, but some common sense and simple measures can solve this problem.


  • My dog wont stop jumping over the fence. This is a HUGE problem ...

    www.answerbag.com Questions

    My dog wont stop jumping over the fence. This is a HUGE problem since my neighbor was after him with a rifle just for being in his yard. Right now he is chained up. I ...


  • How Can I Keep Stray Cats Out of My Yard? (with pictures)

    www.wisegeek.org/how-can-i-keep-stray-cats-out-of-my-yard.htm

    Several plants are good for keeping stray cats out of the yard, and many say that an automatic sprinkler works well. If stray cats...

1 comments:

  1. I know this post is old, but training your dog is the only long-term solution, people.

    I love my dog so much but it constantly did the things that irked me most. It would chew on things that it shouldn’t or jump up and down out of the blue.

    Whenever I put on the leash, it would pull on it. Whenever it was out of the house, it would continue digging on the ground - I wish I could tell what it was looking for down there. The same goes for all the nasty urine.

    All the things it did left me feeling depressed as if I failed it monumentally.

    But since I discovered Brain Training 4 Dogs and applied the system offered, it now behaves the way a beautiful dog I always expect of.

    I highly recommend it. Here's a link to their site. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete