Thursday, November 17, 2016

What Can I Do When My Dog Is Afraid of the Rain?

A dog with a phobia of rain or thunderstorms may cower in fear when it hears or sees the weather outside. It may also eliminate inappropriately during these times or exhibit other destructive behaviors due to the stress caused by the rain. Stop your dog's phobia with special training and comfort it during storms to reduce its anxiety.

Fear and Phobia

    The sights, smells and sounds associated with the rain can cause a dog to become afraid during inclement weather. These phobias may affect all dog breeds, although herding breeds seem to develop noise phobias from thunder more than others, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. A dog with a fear of the rain will exhibit symptoms such as panting, trembling, pacing, hiding or barking at the noise outside. The dog may also approach you or others in your home for comfort during the storm. A dog that shows these signs of fear at an early age will only get worse with each successive storm.

Reducing Anxiety

    For dogs with a mild phobia of rain and thunder, you can take steps to reduce the dog's stress level during the storms. Bring your dog inside during the inclement weather to spend time in your home. If the dog needs to eliminate, take it outside briefly to a covered porch or use an umbrella to shield it from the wetness. Spend time with your dog during the storm, engaging it in play and leaving the television or radio on to soothe its nerves, recommends the ASPCA. Close the drapes or blinds to block out the sight of the rain and lightning outside.

Desensitization

    Train your dog not to fear the sounds of a rainstorm using techniques designed to make the dog associate the storm with something good. Purchase a recording of the sounds associated with a rainstorm or a DVD featuring the sights and sounds, especially for dogs afraid of lightning. Play the video for 10 to 20 minutes each day at a low volume, giving your dog treats during each session to positively associate the sounds of a storm with a positive result. Increase the volume of the recording during each session, until your dog shows no further fear of the storm.

Treatments

    A dog that suddenly begins to exhibit signs of a phobia of the rain or thunder may have developed a medical condition that increases its sensitivity to sounds, according to the ASPCA. Take your dog to a veterinarian to rule out a medical cause of your dog's behavior, and ask for advice about the problem. For dogs with a severe phobia of storms, thunder and lightning, antianxiety medication may reduce the dog's stress and the destructive or debilitating behaviors associated with it. Synthetic dog pheromone sprays or diffusers can also help reduce a dog's stress during storms, along with specially designed body wraps for dogs.



  • I don't want my pussy to taste like rain! I want my pussy to taste ...

    ask.metafilter.com/52203/I-dont-want-my-pussy-to-taste-like-rain-I...

    Dec 01, 2006 Connoisseurs of Cunnilingus: What does it taste like to you? ... I know this may seem pervy, but I ask out of genuine, longtime curiosity, which has not ...


  • RedGage

    www.redgage.com

    4th of July is a special day for me and my family. For the Americans, 4th of July is their day of Indipendence. For us Filipinos, before, we celebrate this day also ...


  • WHAT REALLY HAPPENED The History The US Government

    whatreallyhappened.com

    Contains articles about a number of conspiracies, with a focus on the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center, and the ensuing "War on Terrorism".


  • What's one question you've been dying to ask another race but ...

    www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1c03m9/whats_one_question...

    Do not want to fill this up with hate speech either! Come on guys, legitimate questions with slight racial undertones, things that aren't quite PC eno...


  • I Do Dog Tricks - Heartgard

    www.idodogtricks.com/index_flash.html

    HEARTGARD is well-tolerated. All dogs should be tested for heartworm infection before starting a preventive program. Following the use of HEARTGARD, digestive and ...


  • What You Can Do Online - The United States Social Security ...

    www.socialsecurity.gov/onlineservicesLogin Retirement Questions Retirement Estimator Disability

    Create a my Social Security account to: Get your benefit verification letter (includes Medicare and SSI); Check your information, benefits, and earnings record;


  • What Color Should I Stain My Wood Floors? Tadas Wood

    napervillehardwood.com/blog/what-color-should-i-stain-my-wood-floors

    One of the biggest questions we get here at Tadas Wood Flooring Inc. when it comes to staining floors is: Should I get my floors stained and if so, what color should ...


  • Exploding Dog

    explodingdog.com

    hi my name is Sam, I draw pictures, from your titles. send me a title to sambrown@explodingdog.com or send me titles when I am drawing via twitter.


  • I do not fear death - Salon.com

    www.salon.com/2011/09/15/roger_ebert

    Sep 15, 2011 I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as ...


  • The Phobia List

    phobialist.com

    site sponsors. I started this list in the late 1980's and put it on the web in 1995. It's since been adopted and adapted onto many pages since then.


  • WeSmirch

    www.wesmirch.com

    Never miss another hot celeb story! The juiciest celebrity news from all around the web on a single page.


  • Grilled Frog RIBITTS recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8SveP7mBLw

    All that croakin' noise at night gettin' to ya? A few grilled bacon wrapped bull frogs and some ice cold Buds will keep the mud pond quiet. "I gar-on-tee ...


  • Yahoo! Finance - Personal Finance

    finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance

    Jul 05, 2013 Read latest personal finance articles about loans, saving & spending, lifestyle, insurance, taxes, career & education, retirement, and real estate. Try our ...


  • Ghostbusters (1984) - Quotes - IMDb

    www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/quotes

    Ghostbusters (1984) Quotes on IMDb: Memorable quotes and exchanges from movies, TV series and more...


  • St Louis Style Barbecue Spare Ribs by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXRScuvjSQ

    Grill up some real delicious, and real tender, "low and slow" barbecue Spare Ribs with this easy to do St. Louis style Pork Ribs recipe, as shown by the ...


  • CPSIA - Comments & Observations

    learningresourcesinc.blogspot.com

    Sadly, after four years of CPSIA advocacy, its finally time to say farewell. The timing of my goodbye comes as we approach the third anniversary of


  • K9 Kennels Cockapoos, Schnoodles, PapiPoos, ShihPoos, -

    kennelupdogs.com

    K9 Kennels Cockapoos, Schnoodles, Papipoos, ShihPoos - Family raised Quality working Border collies, Poodle crosses and Guardian Dogs

  • MarGeeMar

    margeemar.blogspot.com

    By Admin The outcome of Malaysia's 13th General Election has been smeared by widespread cheating by the ruling Barisan Nasional regime. From the

  • Eliot, T. S. 1922. The Waste Land - Bartleby.com: Great Books ...

    www.bartleby.com Verse T.S. Eliot The Waste Land

    APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding : Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing : Memory and desire, stirring : Dull roots with spring rain. Winter kept us warm, covering

  • Rebelle Society Facebook

    https://www.facebook.com/RebelleSociety

    Rebelle Society. 13,841 likes 4,244 talking about this.

  • My perspective -- What Constance thinks

    cumbey.blogspot.com

    My perspective -- What Constance thinks News and views of Constance Cumbey concerning "Radical Middle", New Age Movement, Communitarianism, "planetary

  • I don't want my pussy to taste like rain! I want my pussy to taste ...

    ask.metafilter.com/52203/I-dont-want-my-pussy-to-taste-like-rain-I...

    Dec 01, 2006 Connoisseurs of Cunnilingus: What does it taste like to you? ... I know this may seem pervy, but I ask out of genuine, longtime curiosity, which has not ...

  • The Wizard of Oz (1939) - Quotes - IMDb

    www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/quotes

    The Wizard of Oz (1939) Quotes on IMDb: Memorable quotes and exchanges from movies, TV series and more...

0 comments:

Post a Comment