Wednesday, September 26, 2018

How Do I Stop My Maltese From Biting?

The Maltese typically has a friendly and affectionate demeanor. However, it can develop behavioral issues such as biting when it doesn't receive adequate training as a puppy or when it's trying to establish dominance in the household. Although they're small dogs, they tend to show fearlessness. Treat the Maltese as if it were a large dog, and reinforce that you're the boss. If you're still unable to stop it from biting, consult a professional trainer.

Instructions

    1

    Schedule an appointment with the veterinarian for a medical evaluation. The Maltese is susceptible to ear infections, which can lead to biting due to pain and discomfort. The veterinarian can also rule out other possible physical causes.

    2

    Yelp every time it nips you during playtime, say "No!" and then ignore it for a few minutes. Resume playing, and praise it for behaving appropriately.

    3

    Provide plenty of chew toys, and redirect your Maltese to those whenever it nips at you. Praise the dog and give it treats for playing with and chewing on its toys. The AKC notes the Maltese learns rapidly if sufficiently rewarded.

    4

    Avoid babying it and work to overcome the tendency to do so. Babying can cause or aggravate behavioral problems because it puts the dog in the dominant position. The Maltese is a toy breed, but it's not fragile or helpless.

    5

    Exercise your Maltese daily with walks and games. This helps it expend excess energy, making it more receptive during training.

    6

    Practice obedience commands daily, and reward compliance. Use commands such as "Sit!" prior to feeding, opening the door for walks and anything else the dog wants. This establishes your dominance.

    7

    Prohibit it from sitting on your furniture. This reinforces your dominance in the household, though it need only be a temporary measure for training if you'd rather allow it.



  • How do I stop my rabbit from biting me? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland

    uk.answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets Other - PetsLast updated: Jul 20, 2008 20 posts First post: Jul 19, 2008

    Jul 19, 2008 Best Answer: Your rabbit is showing first signs of sexual maturity. depending on her size and growth rate soon you will have to have her neutered as this ...


  • Why Does My Cat Bite Me - And How Do I Stop It?

    ezinearticles.com/?Why-Does-My-Cat-Bite-Me---And-How-Do-I-Stop-It?...

    Aug 07, 2008 Cat biting is the second most common cat behavioral problem after inappropriate cat peeing. Many cat owners just do not understand cat biting behavior,


  • How to Stop Your Puppy From Biting The Daily Puppy

    www.dailypuppy.com/articles/stop-puppy-from-biting_9.html

    How to Stop Your Puppy From Biting. Puppies are so cute that it's easy to let them get away with detrimental behavior that seems harmless. Puppies often expend energy ...


  • Yahoo! Answers - How do i stop my dog from biting its nails?

    sg.answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets DogsLast updated: Aug 07, 2007 12 posts First post: Aug 07, 2007

    Aug 07, 2007 Best Answer: Do you cut your dogs nails? It sounds like they get too long and she's taking care of it on her own. You may want to check our http://www ...


  • How do I get my puppy to stop play-biting? Endless Mountain ...

    www.emlabradors.com/2013/02/how-do-i-get-my-puppy-to-stop-biting

    Puppies play puppy games, not human games, with humansAnd puppies in a litter play games such as wrestling, biting, chasing, tug-of-war, and keep away, until we ...


  • Cat FAQ: How do I stop my cat from biting me?

    cat.lifetips.com/faq/4799/0/how-do-i-stop-my-cat-from-biting-me/...

    Stop the biting. I am a firm believer in understanding a behavior, before I try to alter it. If your kitten is biting, understand why-first-before you try to stop her.


  • How can I stop my toddler from biting other kids? BabyCenter

    www.babycenter.com/400_how-can-i-stop-my-toddler-from-biting-other...

    My 20-month-old has become very aggressive in the last few weeks and has started biting in daycare. It's very upsetting to me as well as to his daycare provider.


  • How Can I Stop My Dog From Biting the Leash? Suite101

    suite101.com/article/how-can-i-stop-my-dog-from-biting-the-leash-a...

    Leash biting is a common problem in puppies. Learn why dogs chew the leash and learn how to stop a puppy from chewing and biting the leash on your next walk with the ...


  • How can I stop my toddler from biting herself? BabyCenter

    www.babycenter.com/400_how-can-i-stop-my-toddler-from-biting...

    My 19 Month old daughter bites herself too when she gets mad. I really didn't know what to do. The quickest thing that came to my mind was caling her pediatrician and ...


  • How do I stop squirrels from eating my tulips? - BHG.com

    www.bhg.com Advice Gardening Animal Pests

    Help! I have 30 or 40 tulips planted in my yard. Every time they produce buds, squirrels bite them off. How can I stop them?


  • How Do I Stop My Dog from Chewing Everything? (with picture)

    www.wisegeek.org/how-do-i-stop-my-dog-from-chewing-everything.htm

    You can often stop your dog chewing on everything by making sure it gets plenty of exercise, supervise it and correct it when...


  • Does anybody no how to stop my dog from biting people? -

    uk.answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets DogsLast updated: Jun 06, 2007 19 posts First post: Jun 04, 2007

    Jun 04, 2007 Best Answer: 1) I have also done some research on this subject and the biggest problem that most new puppy owners have is the "NO" command. This


  • How Do I Stop My Dog Peeing in the House? Here's How!

    ezinearticles.com/?How-Do-I-Stop-My-Dog-Peeing-in-the-House?-Heres...

    Mar 15, 2009 If you're asking yourself the question "how do I stop my dog peeing in the house?" then this article was written for you. Specifically, we're going to talk ...


  • How can I stop neighborhood kids from walking through my yard ...

    hotpads.com/answers/question/590

    I HAD the same problem . . . . That is until I started holding conversations with the kids who would use my lawn as a short cut. Initially, it was just a few 'hellos ...


  • ANSWERED: How do I stop my dog from humping? Funadvice

    www.funadvice.com/q/my_dog_has_a_humipng_problem

    I have a 6 month jack russell. I am taking training classes with him and I was told to roll him and correct as soon as I see that behavior because it is never a ...

  • NSPCC - How can I stop my baby biting and scratching? - YouTube

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu1TyCcP7XE

    Our expert helps one mum who is worried about her baby's biting behaviour. Many babies go through a phase when they may bite, smack, scratch or hit their ...

  • ANSWERED: How can I get my dog to stop biting me? Funadvice

    www.funadvice.com/q/my_dog_2655

    How to I get my dog to stop biting me? I play with her all the time, do you think that's the problem? and If you bite your dog on the ear will they listen to you?

  • How Do I Stop My Dog From Chewing Wood? - klw5200 on

    klw5200.hubpages.com Explore Pets and Animals

    If you are a dog owner then maybe you have run into this problem. You leave your home for whatever reason and return later to find that your dog has chewed on some ...

  • How to Stop a Puppy from Biting Your Feet eHow

    www.ehow.com Pets Dogs Dog Training

    It is never a good idea to allow a puppy to bite your feet. You may think this is cute and even a little funny when you first bring your puppy home, but you will ...

  • How to Stop Your Puppy From Biting eHow

    www.ehow.com Pets Dogs Dog Training

    Tamar Gellers client list reads like a daily email blast from Nikki Finkes Deadline Hollywood blog, including names like Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres, Goldie ...

  • How do I stop my dog from marking his territory? - Yahoo! Answers

    answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets Dogs

    Mar 13, 2008 Best Answer: I am so going to get thumbs down for this but I had the same problem. Neutering did not help with our boy and it was driving me insane with ...

  • How can I stop the mosquitoes from biting me? - Yahoo! Answers

    answers.yahoo.com Home & Garden Other - Home & Garden

    Jul 18, 2008 Best Answer: Not an answer to how to get rid of them but to as why you get eatin alive but he doesnt. mosquitoes prefer certain blood types over other ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment