Tuesday, March 8, 2016

How Do I Get My Chocolate Lab to Stop Biting?

Chocolate labs, part of the Labrador retriever breed, come from working dogs bred in Newfoundland to hunt and retrieve game. Although any dog breed may exhibit mouthiness, play biting and a tendency to use their mouth to explore, Labradors' breeding increases their tendency to hold things in their mouths. Larger dogs, such as the 55 to 75 pound Labrador retriever, present a real danger of doing damage even without intending to hurt the person.

Instructions

    1

    Contact your veterinarian for a check-up and referral to behaviorist if your dog bites in aggressive ways or inflicts bites that break or puncture the skin. Follow the personalized evaluation and training of a behaviorist to help stop aggressive biting, whether due to temperament, pain response, medical conditions or other serious issues.

    2

    Instruct all family members and friends to avoid any games or playing that involve or incite the dog to use its teeth or play bite. Avoid tug games until all biting ceases.

    3

    Eliminate reinforcements for biting by giving a loud yelping noise then ignoring the dog. Stop play and all contact to teach the dog that putting its teeth on a person results in no attention or play.

    4

    Teach your dog a command to close its mouth. Tell the dog to sit, hold the dog's collar in one hand, use your other hand to hold its mouth gently shut for 10 to 15 seconds and say "close mouth" in a high happy tone. For dogs that resist training, consider using a head halter designed to close the mouth, the Animal Humane Society suggests. Repeat the exercise 5 to 8 times each day for a week until the dog no longer needs the collar held and shows no resistance.

    5

    Use the "close mouth" command when the dog appears ready to bite or put its mouth on a person. Praise by saying "good close." Keep a leash on the dog to control or put into down position if it ignores the command.

    6

    Attend obedience classes, if possible, and do obedience lessons at home for 10 to 15 minutes twice a day. Continue obedience training to help control of your dog and make following your commands in all situations, including biting, part of the dog's routine.

    7

    Play fetch with your dog to use its natural retrieving instincts to provide appropriate exercise and an outlet for using its mouth. Provide safe chew bones and toys that give the dog an outlet for chewing.



  • How Do I Get My Dog to Stop Tearing Things Up?

    ezinearticles.com/?How-Do-I-Get-My-Dog-to-Stop-Tearing-Things-Up?...

    Jan 23, 2010 I am sure that you have heard the myth that chewing is just a part of a normal dog owning experience. You bring your cute little puppy home only to find ...


  • How long does it take to Potty train a lab? Our Black Lab... - Q&A

    www.faqs.org/qa/qa-5378.html

    How long does it take to Potty train a lab? Our Black Lab... << Back to: rec.pets.dogs: Labrador Retrievers Breed-FAQ


  • How do I get my puppy to stop play-biting? Endless Mountain ...

    www.emlabradors.com/2013/02/how-do-i-get-my-puppy-to-stop-biting

    Puppies play puppy games, not human games, with humansAnd puppies in a litter play games such as wrestling, biting, chasing, tug-of-war, and keep away, until we ...


  • Yahoo! Answers - How much and how often do I feed a Labrador

    malaysia.answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets Dogs

    Feb 11, 2008 I just got this new chocolate labrador puppy and I bought him some "large breed puppy" Science Diet food, is that a good brand? He's been on the Purina


  • How Do I Train My Labrador Retriever To Not Pull When Walking

    ezinearticles.com/?How-Do-I-Train-My-Labrador-Retriever-To-Not...

    Nov 08, 2006 I hear this question all of the time "How Do I Train My Labrador Retriever To Not Pull When Walking Her On A Leash?" from family and friends that have this ...


  • How do i stop my chocolate labrador from eating so fast. He

    uk.answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets DogsLast updated: Oct 13, 2007 24 posts First post: Oct 12, 2007

    Oct 12, 2007 Best Answer: give it a little bit at a time ... My dogs (golden retrievers) are the same way. What I do is I actually sit on a chair and hold the food out ...


  • How do we get our baby to stop biting us? BabyCenter

    www.babycenter.com/400_how-do-we-get-our-baby-to-stop-biting-us...

    Our 11-month-old has been biting us for four months. We've tried everything to get him to stop -- from simply saying 'no' to giving him short time-outs -- but nothing ...


  • How do I get my puppy to stop peeing in her crate? - dog

    ask.metafilter.com/114388/How-do-I-get-my-puppy-to-stop-peeing-in...

    Feb 16, 2009 Housebreaking is going great...except my puppy keeps peeing in her crate! Help!


  • ANSWERED: How can I get my dog to stop biting me? Funadvice

    www.funadvice.com/q/my_dog_2655

    How to I get my dog to stop biting me? I play with her all the time, do you think that's the problem? and If you bite your dog on the ear will they listen to you?

  • How To Do Things How To Articles & How To Videos

    www.howtodothings.com

    Learn how to do (almost) anything at HowToDoThings! Explore instructive how-to articles and videos make things, solve problems, be happy!

  • How long does it take to Potty train a lab? Our Black Lab... - Q&A

    www.faqs.org/qa/qa-5378.html

    How long does it take to Potty train a lab? Our Black Lab... << Back to: rec.pets.dogs: Labrador Retrievers Breed-FAQ

  • Aggressive Puppy Stop Puppy Biting How To Train a Puppy

    www.aggressive-dog-training.com/aggressive-puppy.html

    Easily stop aggressive puppy behavior like puppy biting, puppy nipping, and puppy barking before it's too late by utilizine these aggressive dog training techniques.

  • How long should I wait after my pet dog dies to get another one?

    susiewrites.hubpages.com Dogs and Dog Breeds Dog Health

    Losing a pet can be every bit as devastating as the loss of a human friend. How long should I wait to get another one?

  • How to Train a Labrador Retriever Dog Training

    www.dogbehavioronline.com/how-to-train-a-labrador-retriever

    Many claim that you must wait several years before the Labrador 'calms down' and becomes a normal member of the family. With proper training, however, you can have ...

  • How to Stop Your Puppy From Biting eHow

    www.ehow.com Pets Dogs Dog Training

    Tamar Gellers client list reads like a daily email blast from Nikki Finkes Deadline Hollywood blog, including names like Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres, Goldie ...

  • Does anybody no how to stop my dog from biting people? -

    uk.answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets DogsLast updated: Jun 06, 2007 19 posts First post: Jun 04, 2007

    Jun 04, 2007 Best Answer: 1) I have also done some research on this subject and the biggest problem that most new puppy owners have is the "NO" command. This

  • wikiHow - How to do anything

    www.wikihow.comRelationships Articles Hobbies and Crafts Youth

    wikiHow is a wiki based collaboration to build the worlds largest, highest quality how to manual. Our multilingual how to manual has free step-by-step instructions ...

  • How do I know when it is time to put my dog down? Jim Hall's ...

    jehingr.wordpress.com/2008/08/05/how-do-i-know-when-it-is-time-to...

    Aug 05, 2008 Whatever random nonsense flows from my head... ... I recently had a VERY long conversation with an old friend. His aged dog was suffering and he was

  • How Can I Stop My Dog From Biting the Leash? Suite101

    suite101.com/article/how-can-i-stop-my-dog-from-biting-the-leash-a...

    Leash biting is a common problem in puppies. Learn why dogs chew the leash and learn how to stop a puppy from chewing and biting the leash on your next walk with the ...

  • How I Stopped Eating Food : Mostly Harmless

    robrhinehart.com/?p=298

    Food is the fossil fuel of human energy. It is an enormous market full of waste, regulation, and biased allocation with serious geo-political implications.

  • How To Stop Eating

    howtostopeating.com

    Tips to stop binge eating, stop overeating, stop emotional eating, stop eating fast food, stop eating junk food

  • How do you stop dogs from digging. Ours loves to dig and... - Q&A

    www.faqs.org/qa/qa-2996.html

    ...stop dogs from digging. Ours loves to dig and... << Back to: rec.pets.dogs: Labrador Retrievers Breed-FAQ

0 comments:

Post a Comment