Sunday, January 29, 2017

Why Is My Dog Suddenly Afraid to Get On & Off of Furniture?

Dog training comes with a bit of practice. If you always spend time with your pup on the couch, the chance to cuddle with your dog presents a challenge when he suddenly backs off. Dogs develop behaviors in different ways, but with careful kindness and time, you can remedy your dog's inability to sleep in bed or watch a Saturday night movie on the sofa.

Old Age

    At a certain age, dogs lack the flexibility and strength necessary to jump up. Your dog also may suffer from arthritis or another injury that prevents it from stepping up on its hind legs. Your dog's vet can provide more information and diagnose paw pain or strain in the tendons. In the meantime, you may have to pick your old friend up and place him next to you on the couch or bed.

Bad Experiences

    Dogs may have bad memories of being on furniture. Perhaps another family member gave your dog a lesson without your knowledge. Dogs remember punishments just as they remember rewards. Maybe another family member or roommate is bothered by the dog being on the couch. The dog's sudden fear may be a reaction to a disciplining from a second master. In general, don't ever hit a dog or place newspaper on top of furniture if you want the dog to come to you while sitting in bed or on a chair. Additionally, spraying dogs with water also leaves them confused. If you need help training your dog, many books and trainers offer professional advice.

Puppy Problems or Injuries

    Puppies may have more trouble getting on furniture than older dogs. If your couch is too high or you recently bought new furniture, the dog may lack the muscular strength to jump high enough. Your puppy also may feel insecure about jumping without being able to see over the top of the furniture. If you help your puppy by offering a hand, such as by supporting its midsection as it jumps, you teach the puppy how to jump up; reward it with petting or a treat. Other dogs may have a health issue preventing them from jumping up on furniture. If you notice the dog's legs shaking as it stands to get up on the furniture or other strange movement behaviors, then a veterinarian may have more answers about what ails your canine friend.

Pack Rivalry

    If you recently added another pet to your family, your dog may be experiencing territory rivalry with the other animal. Your dog may have learned that the piece of furniture is now another dog's sleeping spot or a cat's napping zone, and now it feels afraid to encroach on the territory. If your dogs and cats constantly battle about places in the house, one idea is to keep all pets off of the furniture, to alleviate any territory issues. However, if you want your dog to cuddle with you in bed, then you may have to isolate the other animal causing the territory issues.



  • Why Does My Dog Lick the Rug? eHow - eHow How to Videos ...

    www.ehow.com Pets Dogs Dog Health

    Why Does My Dog Lick the Rug?. Dogs are big on licking, whether it's licking other dogs, their owners or themselves during their own grooming process. Licking is not ...


  • Why does my cat suddenly poop on our bed?! - Cats - MedHelp

    www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Why-does-my-cat-suddenly-poop-on-our...

    We have 2 cats and 2 dogs. All of our pets have been with us since babies. They get along great. My boy cat is now 7 years old. He recently had a check up and blood ...


  • Why Does My Dog Growl at Me? Content for Reprint

    www.content4reprint.com/pets/why-does-my-dog-growl-at-me.htm

    Why Does My Dog Growl at Me? Guarding is an instinctual behavior for dogs. It is useful to us when they warn strangers who intrude on their (and our) territory.

  • CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

    www.cnn.com/videoVideo Justice Politics U.S World

    If you get CNN at home, you can watch it online and on the go for no additional charge.

  • Why Is My Dog Trembling? Common Causes of Dog Shaking and

    ezinearticles.com/?Why-Is-My-Dog-Trembling?-Common-Causes-of-Dog...

    Jul 09, 2010 It is definitely reason for concern when you see your dog shaking and trembling. However, it can be difficult to identify the cause. Let's look at the most ...

  • Why Does My Dog Tuck His Tail Down Between His Hind Legs? -

    www.blurtit.com Dog Behavior

    Answer (1 of 46): It's quite common for a dog to do this when they are scared. Hence, if your dog only does this on particular occasions then it's quite likely that ...

  • Why did my dog's hind legs suddenly stop working? - Wellsphere

    www.wellsphere.com/pet-health-article/why-did-my-dog-s-hind-legs...

    Why did my dog's hind legs suddenly stop working? Posted by seemiljr My lab is 2 years old at 90lbs. I exercise him at least 20 minutes a day, five ...

  • Why does my dog chew everything? - Cushionguy.com - High ...

    www.cushionguy.com/infochewing.html

    Information and solutions for pet owners to correct destructive chewing behaviors. Defines why dogs and puppies chew, and some methods of correcting it.

  • My dog is potty-trained..so why is he suddenly peeing in the

    www.i-love-dogs.com/forums/dog-training/18700-my-dog-potty-trained...

    It appears you have not yet registered with the DOG Forums. To register please click here...

  • My Dog Went Suddenly Blind Today - Godlike Productions ...

    www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1231703/pg1

    We woke up this morning and our dog was not herself. After observing her for a few hours we realized she went blind. The blindness came suddenly (overnight) and is total.

  • Dog Training Blog - Dog Training Information - Dog Training ...

    www.dogtrainingblogger.com/why-does-my-dog-lick-my-face.html

    Dogs can mean a lot of different things when they lick. Believe it or not, licking is a form of communication for dogs, as well as something dogs use for grooming and ...

  • Dog Eating Poop - Why and How to Stop It - shibashake on

    shibashake.hubpages.com Dog Housebreaking and Potty Training

    Dogs eat poop for a variety of reasons including boredom, stress, or nutritional imbalance. We describe why dogs eat poop, and how you can stop this poop eating behavior.

  • What does it mean when my dog suddenly loses mobility in his

    www.vetinfo.com/vets/answers/what-does-it-mean-when-my-dog...

    What does it mean when my dog suddenly loses mobility in his back legs? My dog is not able to walk because of his back legs suddenly stopped working so he's just ...

  • Why does my dog "nibble" us like he is eating corn on the cob?

    www.dogster.com/answers/question/why_does_my_dog_nibble_us_like_he...

    Answers to: Why does my dog ... Why does my dog "nibble" us like he is eating corn on the cob? When my Coonhound gets gets all worked up, he will do what we call the ...

  • How Do I Get Over The Guilt Of Euthanizing My Dog? - Find

    www.experienceproject.com Q&A Home Pets and Animals

    I feel guilty for having to euthanize my dog. I wanted to preserve his dignity. He was getting worse. I should've taken him on more walks, paid more attention to him ...

  • Exploding Dog

    explodingdog.com

    hi my name is Sam, I draw pictures, from your titles. send me a title to sambrown@explodingdog.com or send me titles when I am drawing via twitter.

  • Why Are my Two Dogs Fighting? Pet Doctor Mom

    petdoctormom.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/why-are-my-two-dogs-fighting

    Dec 04, 2011 There are many resons dogs fight with each other. But the most common reason two dogs in the same house get into fights is that the owner does not support ...

  • Why did my dog do that when he knows it's bad? But does your dog ...

    www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/whybaddog.html

    Why did my dog do that when he knows it's bad? (But does your dog really know it's bad?) Dogs are not mechanical creatures, nor are they humans.

  • Why does my dog... Questions, Answers, Polls & Debates

    www.answerbag.com Pets and Pet care Dogs Dog behavior

    Learn about Why does my dog... on Answerbag.com. Why your dog does what it does... Have a question? Ask it! Know an answer? Share it!

  • My Dog is scared of thunder and fireworks. What can I do to

    uk.answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets DogsLast updated: Apr 16, 2008 28 posts First post: Apr 15, 2008

    Apr 15, 2008 Best Answer: My poor old boy is exactly the same. He even got to the stage where he'd get scared as soon as it rained-as he associated that with a storm ...

  • Why would my male cat, (1yr old & spayed ) suddenly start ...

    uk.answers.yahoo.com All Categories Pets CatsLast updated: Oct 29, 2008 17 posts First post: Oct 28, 2008

    Oct 28, 2008 Best Answer: Any change in the household can cause your cat to suddenly feel insecure and start marking his territory. Believe it or not something as ...

  • Why Dogs Don't Listen? Is Your Dog Stubborn, Stubborn, Spoiled

    www.dogsecrets.com/a_5.html

    Find out all the reasons why your dog isn't (fully) trained. Have you ever wondered: Why my dog doesn't listen to me? Or how can I get my dog to listen, why my dog ...

  • Why does my dog chew everything? - Cushionguy.com - High ...

    www.cushionguy.com/infochewing.html

    Information and solutions for pet owners to correct destructive chewing behaviors. Defines why dogs and puppies chew, and some methods of correcting it.

  • Why Does My Dog Pee on the Bed? - Fancy Dog beds

    www.fancydogbeds.com/why.shtml

    Why Does My Dog Pee on the Bed? Many dog owners relate the story of how their beloved pet peed on their bed. A popular explanation is that the dog was doing spite ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment